Tuesday, May 31

American Vegan Kitchen.. revisited!

We've been doing a pretty good job keeping our cookbooks active since the challenge ended.  We've probably made something out of American Vegan Kitchen at least once a week.  One of our favorites is still the Coconut Bacon Bits, but here are some other goodies:



Seitan Po' Boys
These were the perfect flavorful and messy sandwich!  Aside from making the seitan (which I did the day before) they were also pretty quick to make.  We served them on French bread, as suggested, with pickles, mustard and a little extra mayo.


Brew City Stew
We used the extra seitan to make this stew.  The seitan really picked up the flavor of the beer, which I didn't expect.  It was really hearty and gave us enough to dinner and leftovers for lunch.


Brewpub Tater-Tot Pie
This might not be the prettiest dish, but it was definitely one of my favorites from this book.  We used a can of kidney beans in place of the TVP and omitted the mushrooms, otherwise we followed the recipe.  Again, the flavor of the beer really came through in this, so pick a beer that you like!  This is a relatively quick meal to keep in mind for the fall or winter.


2 comments:

  1. i haven't made nearly as many recipes from that book as i need to -- thanks for the reminder to use it! the po'boys look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, and I think it was the second vegan cookbook I bought. Every time I open it I find something that surprises me!

    ReplyDelete